Thursday, January 24, 2008

Reily can sing!

I don't know why I'm surprised by this. My husband does come from a very musically gifted family. I guess I'm just so happy to see Reily taking advantage of it. This year, Reily decided to join the school choir. Mostly because it would help him earn the points he needs to stay active in the National Juniors Honor Society and because there are a lot of cute girls in choir. At the beginning of the year his choir director urged him to try out for the varsity choir. He practiced for a few weeks and made it. He is now preparing to try out for the regional choir. He's working on four songs that he will have to sing by himself for a panel of judges...one of them is in Latin! What prompted me to post about all of this is late last night Reily asked his dad to help him practice his songs. He's been practicing a lot at school, but not much at home. My first impression was how good Reily could sing. He has a really nice voice. My second impression came as Reily and Ron were singing together. My husband has passed on a wonderful thing to our son...musical talent. I am so grateful for this. I think singing has not only been a source of fun for Reily, it has also been something that has given him a lot of confidence. As I watched and listened to the two of them, I imagined Reily looking and sounding a lot like his Dad did at that age. They sounded so good together and watching them together was just as sweet.

Here are pictures from Reily's last choir concert. It was a Christmas concert they held last month. This is only the 7th and 8th grade choir students. If you add in the 6th grade, there are over 300 kids in our middle school choir. These kids are fantastic!


This is the boys varsity choir. Reily is standing in the second row first one on the right.

3 comments:

chelon:) said...

i sure wish that the musical gift was a part of my family! unfortunately, i can't sing a note :) maybe my kids will get it from steve. they do love to karaoke! congrats reily and good luck!

Price Cream Parlor said...

OH MY! I didn't know that Reily could sing! Or, that he would sing in public! That is FANTASTIC! Latin?!! Are you kidding? What a gift!
This is so great about blogging! I would have never known as this wouldn't have ever come up in a typical conversation! So glad you are doing this!

Anonymous said...

Maybe he could learn to sing my theme song " non compos mentis."