Friday, November 14, 2008

Reily's Busy Life

As you already know, Reily is playing lacrosse. He loves it and it's proving to be a great sport for him. Sports are a HUGE deal in Texas! They play hard and practice even harder. The official lacrosse season doesn't start until the beginning of next year, but practices started over the summer. Once school started, it all intensified with practices three times a week for two to two and a half hours each time. The boys are also "encouraged" to practice at a sports training center every Thursday night for two plus hours. We've also started scrimmage games (which last three to four hours) and after the holidays, practices will be four to five times a week.

Reily also had his first Homecoming. I found myself startled now and then as we prepared for it all. I'm still not use to having a child in high school and now he was going to Homecoming...crazy! What was even more startling and way crazier is the "Texas Homecoming Mums". This is a tradition here in Texas and like sports, it's a huge deal. The mums need to be big and fancy and they are bought or made by the mother of the boy. The girls wear the mums pinned to their shirts all day at school and then that night at the football game. Some pin them to their dresses the next night for the dance. Luckily, the girls in Reily's group didn't want them. If the girl Reily takes next year wants one, I'll know what to do now. I'd never seen or heard of such a thing. Anyway, these mums taught me that everything really is bigger in Texas!


Reily has also continued with choir and was chosen to sing in the Honors Choir for the Texas Music Educator's Region 26 Concert. This is an audition choir made up of students from all the high schools in our region. Last year, I believe I counted 25-30 schools in our region. The kids and directors practice all day together for the first time and then perform that same night. At the practice, Reily was chosen to sing in the Mixed Men's Choir as well. This was exciting because the director of that choir has incredible credentials. He's worked with artists from the Metropolitan Opera and Tony award winners. Also, his Conservatory Chamber Choir performed a concert tour of China as part of the opening celebration of the 2008 Beijing Olympics. This was a wonderful opportunity and experience for Reily! Here's a picture of Reily and his friend Amanda after the concert--









5 comments:

bunkerfamily said...

Oh my Gosh! Reily is soooo grown up and SOOO cute! I cant believe he's already going to school dances! How FUN!!! Gosh Lacrosse, School Choir, Dances, Girls, how do you rate? Looks like your having FUN being a TEEN!

MommaPrice said...

Reily is so handsome in his tuxedo. I can't believe that the little boy who used to sit in the fireplace among the soot has grown into such a wonderful, productive young man. Keep up the good work!

shayla said...

Is THAT pic the MUM...with all the ribbon hanging from it???  I can really see you wearing that, pinned to your shirt--it'd be heavier than you, Michelle! Writing about prom brought back fond memories of me & Ken going with you & Jaime YEARS ago...of course, I wasn't 'allowed' to stay after midnight, but as embarrassing as it was for me back then, I was only 15! I can't believe you have a son already in HS and doing those same things! And crazy about lacrosse! I thought Brayden's football was bad. Reily must be a great well-rounded student...with the cutest mom ever.

Can you send me your address?

chelon:) said...

wow! what a great looking young man!! as far as the mum goes....hmmmm. very nice ;) i can't imagine having to wear one of those!!

keep up the busy happy life! it was great talking to you the other day! i miss you :)

Price Cream Parlor said...

WOW! This is so fun! Looks like Reily is having a blast there in Texas! I totally forgot about the MUMS! Holy cow! Glad you escaped that one! HA!
HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO JACKLYN today!